China CPOL (Community Popular Opinion Leaders) Project
|P.I.||Mary Jane Rotheram-Borus, Ph.D|
|Current Contact||Dallas Swendeman|
Community Popular Opinion Leader (CPOL) HIV prevention intervention
• Ethnographic studies to identify social networks
• Pre-baseline assessment for risk estimates
• 4,510 market workers from 40 food markets participated in the baseline
• Behavioral and biological assessments
• Longitudinal analyses with 12 and 24 month follow-ups
The project has provided an opportunity to communicate with policy makers at all administrative levels in China about HIV prevention and intervention strategies. The POL model was adapted by other intervention studies in China.
This is the first test of the efficacy of a similar intervention in multiple international sites. China is the first of the five countries that has begun the baseline assessment and intervention activities. More than 15 peer-reviewed papers have been published.