Recruiting GAY MEN for Research Study
Recruiting GAY MEN for Research Study
to test daily HEALTH SURVEY conducted through CELL PHONE application
Recruiting gay men and their friends, family members, co-workers, or other peers for research study to test a daily health survey administered by cell phone application. This study is conducted through the Center for Community Health at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
*** This study has been approved by UCLA, Institutional Review Board, Protocol # 12-000827 ***
Why is this study being done?
Previous studies have shown that health interventions conducted on cell phones have helped with reducing smoking and other behaviors that are harmful to one’s health. However, there have been few cell phone studies conducted to help gay men and their peers maintain healthy behaviors and reduce behaviors that can spread HIV to HIV-negative people, such as risky sexual behavior and drug use.
We are recruiting study participants to be part of a research project that will help researchers develop a cell phone application to assist gay men and their peers to maintain healthy behaviors and reduce risky sexual behavior and drug use.
Who is eligible to participate in the study?
Gay men who are:
- At least 18 years old
- Have their own web-enabled cell phone that is either an Android phone issued after November, 2010 (version 2.3 or higher), or an iPhone to use during the study. Unfortunately, we are unable to support Blackberries, Windows-based phones, or phones based on other operating systems.
- Willing to respond to a daily 5-minute health-related survey through their cell phone for one month (31 days).
- Willing and able to recruit 3 peers to join them in the study who are at least 18 years old and also have a web-enabled cell phone (Android versions 2.3 or higher or an iPhone) they can use during the study. Peers can be a man or woman, gay or straight, and can include friends, family members, co-workers, etc.
What will I be asked to do if I take part in this research project?
- Answer online screening questions on demographics and background characteristics.
- If eligible, fill out an online consent form and provide us with your first name (or nick name), e-mail address, and phone number of the cell phone you will use during the study.
- Schedule one telephone call with the study team to:
- Answer demographic questions about yourself and questions about your social network (approximately 15 minutes). This will help the research team examine how individuals’ social ties are linked to health behaviors. This survey will ask you questions about the number of individuals in your social network, their relationship to you, and their demographic characteristics. Since we are interested in the make-up of your social network and not the identity of your network members, we will not ask you their full names (you can even use nick names for them).
- Receive instructions on downloading and filling out the daily health survey app through your cell phone,
- Receive instructions on how to recruit 3 peers into the study with you, and
- Be assigned your arbitrary study identification number.
- You and your peers will be asked to fill out a daily 5-minute health survey for one-month using your cell phone. Questions will ask about your mood, diet, exercise, sexual behavior, and drug use.
- Download 2 cell phone applications to your web-enabled cell phone: the health survey application and ‘SystemSens’. SystemSens is an app created at UCLA to run in the background and monitor battery usage, memory allocation, and user interface with the cell phone, which includes a phone log of individuals you call and text. For the purpose of this study, we are only interested in the frequency of telephone calls and text messaging with peers you recruit into the study. Therefore, the phone log will only show us phone numbers of the 3 peers you recruit into the study. It will not show us phone numbers of anyone outside the study and will not record the content of the calls or text messages.
- At the end of the study, uninstall the 2 cell phone applications and fill out a 15-minute online close-out survey
- Upon study completion, you and each of your peers will receive an online gift card (e.g., to Amazon) worth $60 and $50 respectively. Additionally, study participants with high daily survey completion rates will be eligible for a drawing to receive a $100 online gift card.
Several steps will be taken to protect your confidentiality and the information you provide us
- Information you enter will only temporarily be stored on your cell phone until transmittal to our research center at UCLA. Your information will only be accessed by research study personnel.
- Your phone number is the only identifying information we will have about you. Your phone number will be kept separate from the information you provide and can only be linked to the information through an arbitrary study identification number.
If you have additional questions about the study, please contact the study team at:
Telephone: (323) 920-5057 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.