National Day of Action on Syringe Exchange
Date(s) - Mar 21, 2012
12:00 AM - 12:00 PM
No more federal dollars for syringe exchange: that was the message from Congress less than 3 months ago.
The funding ban is back, and the timing couldn’t be worse — with tight state budgets, and signs that many painkiller users are injecting or switching to heroin, our syringe exchange programs need more support than ever. The Harm Reduction Coalition and our allies are pulling out all the stops this time to demand that Congress and the federal government set politics aside, and we need your help.
On March 21, we’re going to make our voices heard around the country. Local meetings with US Senators, media events to highlight issues, and a National Call-in Day sponsored by a dozen organizations will serve to highlight our opposition and commitment to not backing down.
What Can I Do?
1. Visit and “Like” our National Day of Action Facebook page
2. Join in a local action: People in your state may already be organizing meetings
with legislators and other events that you can join. Click link here to see plans for
meetings in: CA, CO, CT, HI, IL, IN, MA, MN, NC, NM, NY, OH, PA, and WA.
3. None listed in your city? Go ahead and set up your own meeting with 3-6 others
with your US Senators – Click here to see how. Let us know so we can list it in
our media release.
4. Demonstrate local support: Both before and after the Day of Action, you can
circulate sign-on letters like the sample linked here to show support from
organizations and legislators in your state
5. Share your knowledge: Click here to print out talking points and materials for a
leave-behind packet, and please include one of your own describing what you can
about syringe access availability and needs in your state.
6. Make your own media: Add photos and videos to the Facebook page of you and
your friends taking action, or send to us to post. And tweet! #321syringe Twitter
Hashtag for Day of Action
7. Call-in’s to Senate offices: Mobilize within your organization to send out the call
in alert coming out the morning of the 21st. Consider doing tabling and outreach
on March 21 with cell phones to get the public to call-ins, Sample script and more
details coming. You may phone the United States Capitol switchboard at (202)